Is it possible to play in the zone all the time? Vanessa Selbst doesnâ€™t think so, and nor should you. In the latest episode of The Mental Game of Poker Podcast I get to speak with the most successful female poker player of all time fresh off the back of a $1.4 million winning trip at the PCA.
We have a very high level discussion on how she manages her energy to make sure that rather than playing he zone all the time, she works hard to play in the zone at the most important time. We discuss:
- How she manages mental energy and the mental value of late regging.
- Knowing when not to play in a tournament and how to avoid burning out.
- How she maintains her passion and enjoyment of poker through rough periods.
- Where she stands on the hard work vs talent debate in poker.
- How she sets goals and how she judges them a success or not.
This was a really enjoyable show with one of the true top performers in the game today. If you want to learn more about Vanessa, you can follow her blog, her website, or follow her on Twitter: @VanessaSelbst.
Vanessa mentioned she enjoyed my first book (the half she read at least) â€“ if you want to get your hands on a copy of either book to further your mental game or your understanding of the zone, you can get them both for free using PokerStars FPPs and on audiobook.
Stay tuned to The Mental Game of Poker Podcast, I have three more great guests confirmed, including Jason Mercier later this week. Make sure you subscribe to the show on iTunes so you donâ€™t miss them.
Listen To Podcast
Subscribe through iTunes by clicking here. If you’re already subscribing, please rate the show.
Add the RSS Feed for the show by clicking here.