My guest today on The Mental Game Podcast is a much needed voice for anyone who is struggling to find meaning and purpose in their life. Mark Manson is a a very successful author, blogger, self-development coach and dating expert. On the surface it appears he has his shit together, but as he says he starts everything he does as a form of ‘public therapy’ with himself, but with the reader in mind.
His new book The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck is actually about finding out what your values are, what you give a fuck about. We had a really good discussion about how young people today in many ways have it better than ever, but are missing a clearly defined sense of meaning. So the onus of responsibility is on us to create our own.
In this podcast we discuss:
- How self-help is often used as a form of avoidance
- How to define our own values and ignore the unimportant
- The importance of distinguishing between pleasure and happiness
- The importance of getting to the underlying problems rather than superficial fixes
- What Mark’s experience as a poker player taught him about life
Mark really is a modern day philosopher with a really great handle on how to get more out of life. I am really looking forward to his new book, but until that comes out check out his website at MarkManson.net.
Click Here to Download a Copy
If you want to be the first to receive Mental Game Podcast updates, please join my newsletter.
Subscribe through iTunes by clicking here. If you’re already subscribing, please rate the show.
Add the RSS Feed for the show by clicking here.