The Mental Game of Poker Podcast is back, and what a way to return. I interviewed the reigning World Champion Greg Merson ahead of this year’s Main Event final table. Merson is certainly an interesting champion from a poker mindset perspective. Last year was his breakout year where he won arguably the two most prestigious No Limit events of the year – the Main Event and the Six Max Championship. Yet amazingly he started 2012 playing $1/$2.
Listen To Podcast
More significantly, Merson has beaten and continues to beat drug addiction, and has used his profile as WSOP champion to try and help others do the same. In this episode we talk about:
- How he is rededicating himself to playing online again, after getting his ass kicked at the virtual felt
- The importance of eating right and exercise for his mental game
- How poker saved his life while he was battling drug addiction, and how he continues to beat it
- How he prepared for the November Nine by playing 24 hour sessions
- How he built up from $1/$2 all the way to two WSOP titles last year
My buddy Tony Gregg told me I should read The Mental Game of Poker on audiobook and told me that it was on audiobook. In the middle of June 2012 I downloaded it and listened to it every night over the course of 4 or 5 nights during the series. It was great, I couldn’t endorse it more. I’ve done interviews where people ask me what book I would recommend and that is the only book I would recommend. I couldn’t agree with the philosophy of the book itself more. It’s so important.
You can listen to the podcast below and stay tuned, as I’ll have even more great episodes coming up.
Listen To Podcast
Finally, if you want to listen to The Mental Game of Poker 1 and 2, like Greg did, you can download it potentially for free with Audible.
Subscribe through iTunes by clicking here. If you’re already subscribing, please rate the show.